In this quick setup guide, we'll show you how to find and install Google Analytics by Littledata, the most popular Shopify app for ecommerce tracking and marketing attribution in Google Analytics (GA).
Littledata's Shopify connection does not change historic data in GA, and it only fixes tracking from the time of install onwards.
Step 1. On your Shopify store page, select apps on the left-hand side. There you will see the Apps button. On the right-hand side, select Visit Shopify App Store.
Step 2. Type in Littledata into the search bar.
Step 3. Once you've typed it in click 'Add app' to begin the installation process:
Step 4. Install the app.
1. Choose the installation type you wish to follow; if you choose the Standard route, please continue reading below. For the Manual route, follow the instructions listed in section B) Manual Install:
2. Add your Google Analytics web property ID by following the on-screen instructions:
Your Google Analytics field in Shopify admin looks like this:
3. After completing this step, you will have to disable the Shopify tracker:
4. Your set up is now complete!
To enhance Shopify tracking, we suggest you use our Google Analytics connection after completing the Shopify set up. The instructions for connecting Google Analytics can be found in this guide.
1. Select the Manual route. If you are running a headless setup, see our Getting Started guide for Headless Shopify
2. Add your Google Analytics web property ID, as found in Shopify store preferences:
3. Next, you will be instructed to add the script to your Shopify theme. Click the COPY link, which will copy the script to the clipboard:
4. Then go to your Shopify admin > Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit code and create a new snippet named
LittledataLayer.liquid ; then paste the script in and click on save.
5. Copy the 3 line code and paste in every one of your store’s layouts to include the snippet, just above the tag. In the example below, we’ll paste the snippet in row 75.
You need to add the three-line code to your layouts when you are installing our app, but also when you create another layout for a new campaign. Anytime you create a new layout, just follow these steps to add the code snippet.
6. After adding the code, you will be prompted to disable the current Shopify tracker in order to prevent duplicate tracking: